Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sometimes, you just have to laugh

As it is known, i have been taking care of my Mother since she broke her back in a car accident last week. Well, Tuesday night i was admitted to the hospital for emergency appendix surgery! And i was laying in the emergency room, and the Doctor was telling me my appendix was about to explode and they were preparing an OR for me immediately, i started to laugh. Now i know that the doctor probably thought i had gone around the bend, but really, all i could so was laugh. It was either that or cry. My Mother needs my help with her recovery, i had just sent my daughter and husband to the cafeteria to get some dinner, we were about to get a foot of snow overnight in a terrible snow storm and here i was about to have surgery. Ha ha ha!

The good news, surgery went well, appendix didn't explode. I have wonderful friends who offered to watch Cori while Adam was at the hospital with me. (Thank you Jim and Teresa!) My Mother has learned some creative ways to be more independent without hurting herself. I went to the ER early enough that the surgeon and aneasthesiologist were still at the hospital and not snowed in somewhere else where they couldn't get back to the hospital. We have a truck so Adam was able to get to the hospital and back home with minimal trouble. Cori got to spend the night with Grandma and Grandpa. And because of the snow, my Dad was off from teaching school and could be home with my Mother for whatever she needed that i could now not do for her.

I am home and feeling better (as long as i take my pain medication) and will be back to normal in 14 days. Thanks to FMLA (thank you Bill Clinton) Adam gets a mini paid vacation and will not be working in the snow but will be at home taking care of his family. So it all worked out well. (Thank you God!)

No comments: